When restaurateurs are looking for ways to save money, all too often, those savings can be found in areas that are being neglected in-house. A major way your restaurant could be saving money is regular maintenance. Many equipment repair companies prefer to come into a kitchen that has been maintained throughout the year, because it’s easier to do big fixes – which means savings for you!
When equipment is maintained throughout the year, it lasts longer! Here are a few tips we recommend you stick to that will save you time and money in the future:
- All kitchen equipment should be wiped down including the inside, outside and underneath the appliance.
- Wipe sinks & faucets dry with a soft rag to avoid rust buildup.
- Beverage machine faucets need to be disassembled and soaked to prevent sugar build-up.
- Wash down floor mats in kitchen and bar areas to prevent grease build up.
- Dust the condenser coils on your refrigeration systems.
- Clean air-intake openings on convection ovens.
- Clean shelving panels using a mild detergent and soft cloth.
- Have a professional cleaning company do a top to bottom cleaning of your restrooms.
- Change or clean the filter in your air conditioning units.
- Clean combustion fans on fryers.
- Wipe down the ceiling, floor and walls of your walk-in to avoid mold and bacteria growth.
- Clean dishwasher including washing and rinsing arms.
- Clean out and wash down prep table units entirely.
- Inspect gaskets on every piece of equipment, wipe down and replace as needed.
- Check grease filters for build-up.
- Check gas hoses for leaks – soapy water works best; where there are bubbles, there are issues.
- Change glue boards in pest control traps.
- Re-stock your First Aid kits.
- Tighten all hardware on dining room furniture.
- Tighten all stall hardware in restrooms.
- Inspect ventilation and exhaust hoods for loose belts.
- Change water filters on beverage and ice machines, combi ovens, coffee brewers…etc.
- Have AC and heating unit checked by a professional.
- Calibrate thermostats in appliances, i.e. oven, fryer, refrigerator.
- Clean and inspect ventilation system hood, duct and exhaust fan.
- Replace your ventilation system exhaust fan belt and makeup air belt.
- Make it part of the culture of your kitchen to educate your employees! An educated staff can spot the signs and address any issues before they turn into bigger, more costly problems.
Make an appointment today with Fugh Refrigeration! We can help you replace parts & regular cleaning/ maintenance!
Check out more info on restaurant facts here.